Monday, April 18, 2011

Race 6!



So I did it!  I tackled the ICE BREAKER!  This race was at Granite Bay once again.  It took place on Sunday April 17th. 
Matt and Dad came out to watch me complete this race.
Here I am waiting to start.  I was in the last wave out of six, so I had to wait a while until I actually got to start.


Still happy not realizing how cold the water really was!
 So I decided to get in the water before the race started so I wouldn't complete freak my body out.  It was so cold.  My feet and legs were tingling pretty badly.  I wasn't brave enough to go for the whole body dunking.
Once it was time for my wave to start I took a running start and went for it.  I didn't realize how strong the current was and took in numerous drinks of water.  Even though I went in the water for a bit before, the water still shocked me. It took me a bit to breathe normally again.

YAY!!! I'm finally out of the water!
 The swim took me 26 minutes to complete.  It was half a mile.
Then came my 13 mile bike ride.  I rode this same course twice in January, the only difference was I had to ride the course twice in one race.  Once you finish one loop and back to the where you started you had to turn around and do it all over again.  I felt like I was doing great.  
Coming in from my ride!
 The ride took me 1 hour and 7 minutes. 
Next came the run.  It was only 4 miles.  I felt like I could hit this one out of the park!

Here I go!
The run started out the same as the January races, and I was wondering if it was going to just be two loops of that same course.  But I was wrong.  The first mile was the same and the last mile was the same.  After finishing mile 1 you entered some tougher terrain which went straight down and straight up numerous times.  Here was the problem...I forgot my running shoes at home, and was wearing some "retired" no traction shoes.  I had to side step down some of these hills.  At one point I looked up to see someone running the opposite way and was shocked to find out that I had to go down even further before I would turn to go back up.  When mile three was over I was happy because I knew the track I was on.  This part of the run was very doable. 
Across the line I come!
Of course I started running in a dead sprint to cross the finish line.  Or at least what a dead sprint was at that point. 
Walk it off!
 I finished! YAY!!!!
I did it!
Gatorade does a body good!   
He snuck in for a hug...I didn't know that was going to happen!
So all in all it was a great race.  It was my last race of the year in Granite Bay.  At least at this point...who knows things could always change.   


Next Race: Avenue of the Vines May 15th

1 comment: