Thursday, October 6, 2011

Number 16

September 18th brought me back to Pleasanton, but this time for the Tri for Real!  This race had a half mile swim, 18 mile bike, and a 4 mile run.
I decorated my swim cap the night before the race, because it had a race number on it from a previous race and I wanted to use the cap.  

My fierce swim cap!
I arrived at the race nice and early, so that I could set up my bike and have time to let the length of the swim really kick in.  I was nervous, but I knew I would be able to do it. 
Here I am pre race getting ready to head over to the starting line.
Before the start of the race!
The swim started for wave 4, my wave.  We were the smallest wave with only about 20 something people in it. I was in the under 29 women's wave.  the 30 and up women's wave had well over 100 participants. 
I started the swim nice and strong and in just about 17 minutes was back out of the water and running to get my shoes, and helmet on to start the bike.  The bike was a double loop of a course very similar to the Tri for Fun seriers.  During the biking there was a 25 year old in front of me and we were playing cat and mouse.  I'd catch her and she'd catch me.  I finally blew by her and finished the bike before her.
Then came the run, the girl caught me but I kept her in my view the entire time.  I was not going to let her beat me!   When we climbed the final hill I made sure to go fast enough to stay right behind her until I could find a good sprinting point.  As we entered the grassy area, she was running zig zag lines, and I knew that was my chance.  I took off in a sprint and didn't look back, I hit the pavement and could finally see the finish line.  I crossed the finish line and waiting I had beaten her by 20 seconds, but I had done it!
My finishing time was 2:27!  Not to shabby!
YAY!!!! I did it!
My Pleasanton races are now over for the year, but I went out there and kicked some major butt!
My shirt!
Next race:  Gratite Bay Triathlon September 25!

No comments:

Post a Comment