Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Scott Tinley (18)


Race number 18 brought me to Scott Tinley!!  I was super excited to go back to Scott Tinley because this was the place that I completed my first triathlon 2 years ago!  It was hard to believe that it was already the 1st of October.  I had one goal and that was to beat my  time from two years ago of 2:16!
Alle and I drove to San Luis Obispo after work on September 30, got there after dark, set up our tent, and went to sleep.  When we woke up, we packed up the car and walked to registration. 
We could tell right away there was a lot more people this year than there had been 2 years ago.  They even had assigned us where we were to put our bikes. 
We are ready to race!

We are strong and powerful!
Alle and I headed down to the water to wait for our start.  It was a .25 mile swim.  When our time to go came I realized I didn't have my watch ready, so I fiddled with it and then got in.  I saw Alle and tried to pass her, but quickly thought I saw her pass me again.  It wasn't until I was out of the water 13 minutes later and back in transition that I realized Alle never passed me!  I had beaten her out of the water! Which meant I was getting lunch for free!  Alle was in transition before I had left and I jumped on my bike and continued on my way.
While going up the first hill Alle passed me, I had expected it, after all she rides her bike to work everyday.  As the ride continued I was feeling pretty good, I was keeping a pretty good time.  I started to look for Alle and then I saw a girl on the ground...not Alle *phew.*  I finally spotted her right before the turn around, I was really doing good.  I kept going as fast as I could, then I got to this huge hill and knew I had to get up the hill without getting off the bike (which is what I had done two years ago). I did it and was so proud.  The bike took me exactly 1 hour.
I set out on the run, determined to run the last 3 miles of my race.  Like always my legs felt like jello for part of the first mile.  I was doing great on my timing until I came to this huge hill, that I had forgotten about...I could not run up it, but I walked as fast as I could.  I looked at the time on my watch and thought to myself I can still beat 2 hours.  So I continued running!
This is right after I realize I could still beat 2 hours!
I saw Alle at the bottom of the last hill and turned the corner to do the last little loop.  I had 5 minutes to make it and then 4, I had to just a little further and knew I could make it. 
Almost to the finish line!  Just a few more feet!

I'm almost there!
I did it!!!! 1:57!!!!!  A 19 minute improvement on my time!!  I couldn't be prouder of myself!

Looking back to see the finishers!



I did it!  I beat my time!

We did it Alle!  Two years later and still rocking it!



I wanted to redo the pictures that I took two years ago!



Scott Tinley: You were too kind!
Next Race:  Golden State Tri October 9th

1 comment:

  1. Kristen doesn't mention that she beat the number one athlete in her age group out of the water. Stud.

    ReplyDelete